Mustangs in the Movies
Mustangs in the Movies
One of the coolest movie cars of 2017 had to be the Mustang that the Keanu Reeves character John Wick drives in Chapter 2. The car made its first appearance in John Wick (2014) and created a lot of debate surrounding whether the actual car used was a Boss 429 or a 69 Mustang Mach, and some people think it may even have been a modified/pimped Shelby GT500.
The video below shows the now iconic airport scene where John Wick fishtails the car out of a hanger then drifts and slides around the airfield before coming to a very timely stop in front of some rather large trucks! Keanu is well known for taking on a challenge and doing his own stunts when he can, for this scene he honed his driving skills by taking a ‘Precision Driving Course’.
John Wick is not the first film production to select a Mustang as it’s feature car – Steve McQueen drove a Mustang GT 68 Fastback in ‘Bulitt’ (1968) heralded for its tremendous car chase – a grand total of 9 minutes 42 seconds of final footage from 3 weeks filming. Then in 2000 Nicholas Cage drove a 1967 GT500 (Eleanor) in the remake ‘Gone in 60 Seconds’ where he jumped over a police road-block on the Vincent Thomas Bridge in Los Angeles.
Celebrity Mustang Owners
It’s not just films who choose this hard core american muscle car, celebrities past and present love their mustangs – below is a list of a few celebrity mustang owners.
- Jim Morrison (The Doors) Gifted to him by Elecktra Records Jim drove a 1967 Shelby GT500 in Nightmist Blue.
- Sean Penn (Actor) received a 1968 Shelby GT500 in Matte Black from Madonna as a wedding gift.
- Sammy Hagar (Van Halen) bought a 1967 Shelby GT500 as a personal project, originally Nightmist Blue it was repainted Guard Red.
- Micahel Anthony (Van Halen) has a garage full of hot rods, his red convertible GT500 belongs to his wife Sue
- Charlie Sheen (Actor) has owned several Mustangs and his Lime Green 1968 Shelby convertible was featured in the movie ‘Money Talks’
Drive a Mustang GT500 at Heyford Park or Bicester Heritage
U Drive Cars are proud to have an original 67 Fastback with GT500 modifications in our fleet which we imported from the USA – we can’t say that you will be driving like Keanu in John Wick or Steve McQueen in Bulitt, we can however guarantee that our instructors will encourage you to push your limits and to get the most out of your driving experience.
Want to watch some more videos? Our You Tube channel has a collection of videos including our ‘Mustang Cold Start’ video that has been viewed nearly 1500 times!